5.06.2008

Primary Day!



Here we have a rare snapshot of the Southern redpants mama scooting among school buses. It's May 6, and we in the pillow fort are celebrating two events:

the two month birthday of Rowan Emil (!!)
and that glorious process properly revered in our republic, the NC Democratic primary.

Our polling place is the local high school, and we went and voted on these machines. There's a touch screen and then a paper record is made and kept as well, I guess for backup. I heard a piece about voting state-to-state on the radio the other day and it seems a by-product of the fiasco in Florida in 2000 is that FLA is now one of the harder states in which to vote: more red tape, technicalities, etc.



Since it was only a couple blocks, we packed up the boy and walked over. It's summer already--80ish degrees, and we've been hitting the grill pretty hard. Sweet potatoes and veg, as well as ribs and wings. We had four generations of Bufters/Sedgwick-Bufters in the fort this weekend. (For some reason, all of the pictures are on my Grandmom's camera so you'll have to take my word for it.)

We had a fun visit, as always. Liz and I surprised my folks by taking them to look at houses. We're thinking of buying a home (eep!) and saw lots of places over the weekend. So much to do, so much to do.

I also received one of my pubs in the mail, in this magazine. Very exciting.


It turns out that babies aren't as whole-heartedly behind American representative democracy as you would guess. Rowan loudly protested, calling for a fairer system of proportional representation, campaign finance reform, and a stop to pointless questions and red herrings.

As Charles Gibson said: "If it was good enough in colonial times, why not in these times." Talk about coffin nails.






Meanwhile, Auden usurps Rowan's tummy-fun pillow, mistaking it for some sort of beach dune beneath a bulbous blue sun.














Rowan and I have matching boots...so...as you can see...yes, Liz and I have succumbed to that time-tried parenting fallacy: "The baby has preferences about clothes, and his preferences happen to be exactly the same as ours." Hence, Rowan and I have matching boots.

There are, of course, offenses many times more egregious than ours to be rooted out.







All in all, it's been a pretty cool 1/6th b-day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just plain love y'all!

smoov daddy t said...

admit it, you spent hours styling ro's hair in that last photo. 90% of the twenty somethings who live in seattle would kill for hair like that.

Unknown said...

I'm glad your state voted for Obama. I wouldn't look at y'all the same if otherwise.

Seriously.

Anonymous said...

oh man... did you know we can rate your posts now???

-Gr

Tokesha said...

I'm glad that Rowie is so patriotic at his age. You guys are raising him well!