8.27.2008

baby's first soul food!




It's 7:23, I'm alone (except for a slumbering baby) and I have no idea what to do with myself. I haven't found myself with free time in . . . I don't even know how long, but it has been a while. So rather than mopping the floors, thereby preventing Rowan from chillin with a filthy shirtfront all day, I figured I'd post. I'm a little bummed out that Ro has gone to bed at 7, as a) I only got to spend an hour and a half with him this evening postwork before he conked out, and b) if it sticks, this means he'll be rarin to go at 4am.

Mercer slogged through soggy streets to make it to his first Wednesday evening class tonight. He has been making the most amazing dinners as of late, so I am eating leftovers. By the time I get home, I'm desperate to spend time with Ro, and Merc picks up the dinner duties. I don't know how any moms take care of a baby and make dinner. Sedatives all around? Okay, so the pic (see above--I'm on Mercer's compuer, which doesn't seem to want me to scoot pictures around) looks pretty damn unamazing. But take my word for it and know that beautiful photos of food usually involve buckets of shellac, or at the very least an unspoiled fresh fruit.
Ro has really taken to eating. Unless we want to continuously address shreaks and mad grabs, we now have to prepare something for him to eat while we eat. Usually he grabs at whatever we're eating anyway. Yesterday I had to run into a local soul food place for work. The poprietress was really sweet, and we ended up having a long conversation about how Magic Johnson really still does have HIV. She hooked me up with the most slap yo mama meal: tender collards, crispy fried chicken, candied yams, and potato salad. I saved some chicken for Merc and some yams for Ro. Mad success (see figure 3). After giving him the yams, I tried offering him rice cereal, which he accepted with a withering look (figure 2). So thus far, his favorite foods are yams and pickles. What good taste!
We are eagerly awaiting Aunt Alyssa's visit this weekend. I'm thinking if it's nice we'll go waterparking. If not, we'll sit around eating bbq. Either way I win!
Ooooh, guess I didn't need to worry about Ro sleeping too much--he just started wailing. Mo later!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until I'm eating fried chicken with yooooooou!

Anonymous said...

I want both fried chicken and to hang out with all of yous.

and cookies.

-GR

PS totally jealous of alyssa!

ess said...

a: Me either! I am gonna have to do some research and find the best fried chicken NC has to offer. It'll be painful, but given how far y'all are travelling it's the least I can do to hunt down some delicious fried chicken.

gr: i need to make some damn cookies! i have had to eat m&ms (poor me) all week. oh, and i got cookies at a meeting today. and yesterday mercer brought me home some. so okay, not so cookie-deprived. BUT i have yet to bake an inagural batch in my new oven!

Unknown said...

When food hunting, don't forget to find me some fine ass grits um okay plz & ty?

ess said...

oh, that's no problem sam. you can't walk a block without getting grits. gritty gritty grits. how's the downstairs bar treating you?

Unknown said...

SUCH A BAD IDEA. Esp. when I'm a) bored & b) gotta wake up at 6 tomorrow for school.

Maybe just one... HAHAH I'M HILARIOUS.

p.s. I always had the impression that NC is like all flat and marshy, those hiking pics make me wanna buy hiking shoes and become a bull dyke.