11.17.2008

to Maryland & back again

Okay, another boring post. The pix are a ncd (no can do) due to my inability to find my camera charger and my camera battery's inability to hold a charge for more than 3 minutes. Sucky. So for those who occasionally frequent this slice of the blogosphere and may be planning on purchasing a Christmas gift for the S-B household (Mama & Dad, here's lookin at you), a new camera would be pretty sweet. Ahem.

We spent a really fun weekend in Maryland, bookended by two lengthy drives. Mercer and I got to catch up on said 6.5 hour drives, seeing as how most of our communication as of late has been something along the lines of:
M, handing off baby and swerving around L and out door: "Late for class. Howwuzwork? Ro's hungry."
L, dropping seven work bags on floor and grabbing baby: "Workwuzokay. Clean diaper? Have fun."
M, sprinting towards truck: "Yeah, bye!"

The occasion for all the travel was Mercer's grandma's big 8-0! Mercer's family--spearheaded by several of his cousins--threw a most surprising surprise party, complete with a photo-life retrospective that left many eyes misty. It was a really sweet shindig. Rowan loved gabbing with the honoree and the remainder of the guests there. Grandma and Grandpa B. got him a rad red wagon that he cruised around in--until his rubber ducky fell out and he lunged after him and fell headfirst on the driveway. Sad times ensued. Actually, he didn't fuss too much, and I think it fazed me more than it did him--it was his first dramatic mishap. He continues to be nonstop action, pulling heating vents up and standing up in the tub and lunging at everything. He is also getting quite conversational--he makes these little grunts after I say certain words (more, tub) that get me thinkin' he's really communicating.

So anyhow, Maryland was way fun. We returned to find a chilly house, dishes to be washed, and one tabby kitten putting the finishing touches on the slaying of a wee mouse. Lovely. I think I am headed to bed now, after an enchanting day of working til 7, rushing home to feed, bathe, and soothe Ro, cleaning the bathroom, and inhaling a platter of chocolate chip cookies for dinner. Mercer soldiers on, sighing over a heavy tome of Herbert's collected works and a heavily-footnoted document on his laptop.

2 comments:

Tokesha said...

This blog is good. I feel like I'm keeping up with your lives even if I cannot actually catch up with you on the phone! :) Give Ro a kiss hello from his auntie.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you!