3.26.2008

one toke over the line

Salutations!

It has been a challenging couple days, and by days I mean nights. The days have actually been relatively blissful and carefree (read: naptime galore), but the poor babe somehow gets gassier at night. My mama was in town and aside from cleaning the kitchen, preparing food, and doing the laundry, she taught me an important lesson: I can leave the house! I can and I will! We went all manner of places from the botanical gardens (North Carolina is lovely this time of year, for all parties interested in a visit to warmer climes, ahem, ahem)
to the grocery store (which I think freaked out my mom a little. Farmvillians are not used to the dazzling heaps of organic produce and imported luxury products available in metropolitan Greensboro). Speaking of groceries, damn. I thought I had an appetite before, but basically I can't go five minutes without shoveling some type of food into my mouth. I am psyched about being able to eat all those all those off-limits-during-pregnancy foods, like Brie and smoked salmon and sashimi. Actually, who am I kidding? I'm not that classy--it's all aboot the cookie dough.

My mama's visit also enabled me to shower slightly more regularly. Plus she did major relief efforts at those rough 2am and 5am fusstimes.
We also had another set of guests. Sunday afternoon, Tia Margarita y Tio Luis paid us a visit. I told Rowie that Meg and I are buddies from back in the day, like 26, 27 years back, but he didn't seem too impressed at the potential for longevity of human friendship. He just wanted to be cuddled.
Which leads us to the current state of affairs, one day shy of the completion of Rowie's third week oow (out of womb). What an amazing three weeks it has been!

2 comments:

smoov daddy t said...

oh yeah, i know this "sleep during the day and awake at night" scenario very well. its like babies have got it all backwards. kids, night time is for sleeping!

the best advice i can give you is to sleep when ro sleeps, but this is also the only bit of advice you will never keep. when he's sleeping is the only time you can do normal people things like wash yourself, read, and tidy up. sigh.

actually, another bit of advice about gassiness. nayou had some trouble getting his digestive system online during his first weeks... we found that cutting out dairy, garlic and chili from brenda's diet worked well. also, give him three teaspoons of fennel tea once or twice a day. that will help calm his stomach. and lastly, burp him frequently! even when its been a while since his last feeding. getting the gas out in small bits throughout the day meant that there was less of a build up at night.... those are the things that worked for us anyway :)

ess said...

THANK YOU! i don't know how many times i have been told in the past week to sleep when he sleeps . . . in theory it's grand advice, but whenever rowie enjoys a little daytime slumber i find myself--exactly--wanting to shower or needing to tend to heaps of laundry. which makes my life sound so . . . ugh, but it's true.

thanks for the digestive advice! i guess i might be able to give up garlic and chiles but diary will be really hard--a cheeseless ice creamless life sounds so, well joyless. but i'll try anything! i hate seeing him in such distress! i need to get some fennel tea--i had been drinking some fennel tea when my milk was coming in but then i got all engorged and well . . . enough of this story. i'll seek out more! thanks for all the good advice! i'm glad y'all are 3 months ahead of us :)